“Picking Atiku Abubakar as My Vice President in 1999 Was the Greatest Mistake of My Life” — Former Pres. Olusegun Obasanjo


Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described his decision to choose Alhaji Atiku Abubakar as his running mate in the 1999 presidential election as the biggest mistake of his life.


Speaking on Friday in Lagos during a fireside chat with musician and activist Charly Boy at the unveiling of his foundation and memoir, 999: A Memoir in Tribute to Late Justice Chukwudifu Oputa, Obasanjo said that, looking back, he would never have picked Atiku as vice president.


“I would say the greatest mistake I made was picking Atiku Abubakar as my vice president in 1999,” he said.


The former president said he remained grateful that God did not allow Atiku’s actions and overreactions to derail his administration or prevent him from achieving his goals while in office.


“There is no bitterness in me over what happened,” Obasanjo said. “Despite everything, I was able to achieve what I set out to achieve while in power.”


Obasanjo also addressed long-standing claims about his ancestry, maintaining that both of his parents were from Abeokuta, Ogun State, adding:


“I still know our family house there.”


The event was attended by several prominent personalities, including Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Peter Obi, Leo Stan Ekeh, Dr. Austin Tam-George, veteran broadcaster Bisi Olatilo, and other dignitaries.


Obasanjo and Atiku served together under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from 1999 to 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog