‘I Will Be 78’ — Peter Obi Says 2027 May Be His Last Presidential Bid Because Of Zoning Formula


Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has hinted that he may not contest for president again after the 2027 general elections.


Obi said the chances of him running in 2031 are “very slim,” citing Nigeria’s informal zoning arrangement that alternates the presidency between the North and South.


The former Anambra State governor made this known during an interview with media personality Rufai Oseni.


When asked if he would run again if he loses in 2027, Obi said his decision would depend on the outcome of the election and where the presidency is zoned to in 2031.


“For me, it depends on what happens. I don’t want to say it now because people might think I’m saying it because of certain individuals,” he said.


Obi also recalled that a secondary school student had asked him if he would contest again after 2027.


According to him, if the presidency moves to the North in 2031, he would be 78 by the time it is expected to return to the South.


“I said because if I don’t run now, the next time it comes back, based on the zoning formula, it will go to the North,” Obi explained.


“If it goes to the North in 2031, by the time it returns to the South, I will be 78 years old, and I don’t think I’ll be doing this at that age.”


However, he noted that he might consider another run if the presidency remains in the South in 2031.


“If it’s still in the South in the next election, maybe. But the probability is very slim. I won’t know until after the 2027 election,” he added.


Source: The Sun News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog