Wike: He Sent Me Something To Announce, I Called Him Back And Said “I Won’t Announce Again” -Akpabio
According to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, he recently turned down a request from Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike to make another political announcement after previously promoting a political figure linked to a political party.
Akpabio made the disclosure during a live broadcast by Viable TV, where he recounted how an earlier announcement he made in the Senate was followed by what he described as a significant movement of people towards the political party concerned.
The Senate President said he had previously announced the emergence of a national leader from the South-South region. According to him, the announcement generated considerable political attention and was followed by thousands of people reportedly moving towards the party.
He explained that Wike subsequently sent him another message containing information he wanted announced. However, Akpabio said he contacted the minister and informed him that he would not make another announcement on his behalf.
The Senate President suggested that his decision was partly influenced by the fact that he had not received payment for the previous announcement. He also made it clear that he did not intend to use his position to promote another political party.
Akpabio said his political promotion would instead be limited to the All Progressives Congress (APC), the party he currently represents.
Recounting his conversation with Wike, Akpabio said: “A few days ago in the Senate, I also announced another national leader from the South-South, and before I knew it, thousands of people drifted to that political party. So I called him (Wike) back when he sent me something to announce, I said, ‘I won’t announce again. The last time I was not paid. I’m not going to announce. I won’t announce your political party for you.’”
The remarks have drawn attention because of the political relationship between Akpabio and Wike, particularly as political realignments continue to generate discussions within Nigeria’s political landscape.
Akpabio’s comments also highlight the sensitivity surrounding political endorsements and public announcements by senior government officials. His statement that he would only promote the APC underscores his position that his public platform should not be used to advance the interests of another political party.
The disclosure is likely to fuel further discussion about the growing political manoeuvring among influential figures ahead of future electoral contests.

Comments
Post a Comment