When Sam Anyanwu Was Running for Gov in Imo, He Came to Me, but I Said, “No, I Won’t Support You-Wike
Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, has recounted his refusal to support Samuel Anyanwu, the former National Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), during Anyanwu’s campaign for the governorship of Imo State. Wike shared this in a video aired by TVC on September 2, 2026, while reflecting on how political ties and choices have influenced his role in the PDP.
Wike stated that Anyanwu sought his endorsement amidst the Imo State governorship race, but he turned it down due to Anyanwu’s conduct during the PDP presidential primary involving former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. Wike expressed disappointment that Anyanwu, who was then the party’s National Secretary, did not fulfill the role he had expected him to play during the primaries, which ultimately informed Wike’s decision not to back him in the governorship election.
“The governor of Imo State is well aware of the support I offer. Sam Anyanwu was running for governor and came to me for support. I declined because during the primaries with Atiku, you did not fulfill the role I expected you to,” Wike articulated.
He connected his refusal to their shared political experiences during the earlier PDP presidential contest, emphasizing that Anyanwu’s actions at that time influenced his reluctance to endorse Anyanwu’s later political ambitions.
Wike’s remarks underscore the significance of past political experiences and relationships within the PDP, particularly in light of ongoing debates surrounding the party’s 2023 presidential primary. As a prominent figure in Nigerian politics, particularly in Rivers State and the FCT, Wike’s latest comments shed light on how previous actions and loyalty impact political alliances within Nigeria’s leading political parties.

Comments
Post a Comment