“Challenge Me If I’m Wrong, I Have Broken 20-year Cycle Of Promises To Bonny” -Governor Fubara


According to News Century TV on Sunday, August 30, 2026, Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara said his administration had broken what he described as a longstanding pattern of governments visiting Bonny Local Government Area mainly during political campaigns without returning to commission completed projects.


Fubara made the remarks while speaking during the commissioning of a project in Bonny, stressing that governance should be a continuous process that builds on programmes capable of improving the lives of residents.


He said every responsible government should sustain initiatives that add value to society, regardless of which administration started them.


“I heard the B local government chairman when he spoke, government is a continuous process. A very reasonable government must continue a programme that he believes will add value to the system,” Fubara said.


The governor said the commissioning represented a significant departure from what he claimed had been the experience of residents of Bonny for more than two decades.


“And when we came on board, I need to say this, maybe I stand to be corrected. This is the first time in over 20 years that government is coming to Bonny to commission a project,” he stated.


Fubara, however, invited anyone who disagreed with his assertion to challenge it, noting that successive governments had frequently visited the area during election campaigns to solicit votes and make promises.


“If I’m wrong, you can quote me or you can challenge it. Challenge this thing I’ve just said now. We’ve been coming here to campaign. We come here to make promises,” he said.


According to the governor, his administration decided to move beyond promises by delivering tangible infrastructure to the people of the area.


“But we have gone a step further to ensure that we break that jinx. We have come here today to commission this project and I believe that governments will be coming henceforth to commission projects in B,” he added.


Fubara said the visit was also aimed at reaffirming the importance of Bonny to the Rivers State Government and assuring residents that they remained an integral part of the state.


He said the government intended to improve the welfare of residents, particularly because of Bonny's strategic position in Nigeria's oil and gas industry.


“What we have come here to do today is to give first relevance to this wonderful institution and secondly to tell the good people of Bonny that government still remembers you, that you are part of Rivers State,” Fubara said.


The governor noted that the presence of Nigeria LNG and other subsidiaries in Bonny had created employment opportunities for residents, particularly those with educational qualifications.


He said his administration was determined to improve educational opportunities and living conditions in the area because of Bonny's importance to Nigeria's hydrocarbon and energy sector.


“I'm not just happy but fulfilled that I'm in my own place and I'm sharing in their joy,” Fubara said.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog